To have some conversations across time and better understand who they were and maybe who I am meant to be. Perhaps even discover why I am the way I am in those weird little ways that drive me nuts.
I know there are many versions of me, and lately I am thinking about three in particular.
The little girl staring out windows at the night sky.
The teenager trying to make sense of experiences she could not explain.
The adult woman who still carries some of those questions.
I think all three would have very different answers about who they believed they were.
Yet somehow they are all the same person.
Lately I have found myself thinking about one thread that has followed me through every stage of my life. It is not a certainty, it is more of a mystery.
When I was a little girl I spent a lot of time looking at the night sky.
As a child I was fascinated by Orion. I did not know much about astronomy. I did not know much about theology. All I knew is that I loved wishing on stars and if some could grant wishes than many of them must be listening.
Orion was my favourite; all I knew is he was a warrior and a hunter who wore a belt made up of three stars. When I looked up I saw that shining belt and an archer written in the stars. His elbow held high drawing his bow back with a powerful stance. He was sure and steady.
I was drawn to Orion and would just talk to him in the silence. "Oh Archer." I would whisper through the window pane.
Years later I learned that traditional depictions often show Orion carrying a club and shield instead. Yet artistic traditions have imagined Orion as an archer, this makes me smile. Perhaps my younger self was not entirely alone in what she saw.
For me, what matters now is not whether Orion was an archer.
The Gift in the Living Room
When I was around sixteen years old, something happened that I still cannot explain.
I was sitting alone in my sister's living room playing on my laptop. There was nobody else around.
They had gone to the grocery store and I was alone in the quiet. No dramatic moment it was just an ordinary day.
Something struck me in the face before falling into my lap. I remember picking it up confused to find that it was a pendant. Not a necklace. Just the pendant itself a small grey pendant the size of my thumbprint.
One side depicted Archangel Michael slaying a demon beneath his feet.
The other depicted a guardian angel watching over two children.
To this day, I do not know where it came from, most people do not believe me when I tell them why I wear this pendant.
Honestly, I understand why.
If someone told me a pendant simply appeared from nowhere and hit them in the face, I would probably have questions too. I can only tell the story as I experienced it.
I didn't spend long investigating. I didn't launch a search, not much I could search for; I was sitting in the middle of the living room carpet there was nowhere for it to fall from and my family was not religious. I asked my sister's family when they returned home and no one recognized the pendant.
I didn't try to become an expert on angelic apparitions.
I simply bought a chain and wore it. At sixteen years old, that seemed like the obvious thing to do.
I discovered that while mainstream Christian traditions do
not record Michael handing out pendants, there is an Italian folk legend known
as the Bell of San Michele.
In the story, Michael gives a shepherd boy a small bell
which serves as both protection and guidance.
I also learned that Saint Michael medals have a long history
connected to pilgrims, soldiers, police, travelers, and people seeking protection.
All of that is very interesting but these are things younger me would not have needed at the time of finding the pendant. Finding more meaning and understanding is what the version of myself needs today. Maybe in some ways Archangel Michael has always been with me, simply showing up in forms I could understood at different stages of my life.
Through the stars and through a quiet pendant.
The guardian angel side shows two children beneath the watchful presence of an angel.
Eventually I became afraid of losing it so I tucked it away in a jewelry box for many years.
Recently, however, I felt strangely compelled to wear it again.
I cannot explain that either. Perhaps I was looking for an anchor. Perhaps I simply wanted to reconnect with a younger version of myself. Perhaps it was something else entirely. Maybe I need it for something that has yet to come into my life.
Over the years I have often wondered what role Michael plays in this story.
I do not consider myself particularly religious. Still, I have spoken to Michael since the day his pendant entered my life.
Then again I have also talked to the moon and the stars on occasion.
Sometimes those conversations sounded suspiciously similar.
What I have landed on is this: The story is not really about Michael or God for that matter.
Maybe these experiences reveal something about how human beings search for meaning.
I honestly do not know.
What I do know is that the mystery became part of my story.
Not the whole story, just a chapter.
A thread.
A presence at the edge of the forest path. Watching. Protecting. Possibly there. Possibly imagined. And somehow, after all these years, I find that uncertainty more interesting than certainty ever could be.
I don't know if a saint, an angel, coincidence, or something I still can't explain placed that pendant in my path. What I do know is that I have carried it for most of my life. Whatever happened that day, it became part of who I am.
As a little girl, I talked to an Archer shining in starlight.
As a teenager, a Saint Michael pendant fell into my life and I quietly heeded Michael's protection.
As an adult, when I feel unanchored, I find myself reaching for the same piece of metal.
Maybe protection doesn't always arrive in the form we expect.
Maybe it arrives in the form we'll actually recognize.
Maybe Michael saved me.
Maybe Michael helped me save myself.
Maybe those are the same thing.
I don't know.
What I do know is that a small pendant has traveled with me for most of my life, and I am still listening for what it might have to teach me.
The experiences of my younger selves, those are real to me.
You do not have to understand every mystery you encounter.
Sometimes it is enough to acknowledge that it changed you.
And to keep walking.




No comments:
Post a Comment